WELCOME TO MY CASTLE....A PLACE WHERE I DREAM, CREATE, CHAT, ENJOY, SHARE, AND HOPEFULLY SPREAD SOME REGAL JOY!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Metamorphosis Monday time.......new ceilings coming along.

Time for Met Monday posting, thanks to our hostess Susan at,http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ .
Be sure and check out her fabulous blog and see who else is showing some transformations.
Well mine will not be as exciting to others; no dramatic second hand furniture transformations or complete room remodels, nor a room redecorating project.
But it is extremely exciting to me, as it is long waited for.
We are finally scraping off the popcorn ceilings in the house, starting with the family room.
I just couldn't take it anymore, so the Queen of the Castle set forth a royal decree that
this work shall take place in the year 2010, or there would be one unhappy Queen to deal with!!
ha ha
So this weekend, the last of Ron's 2 week vacation he began the tough task!

Before....
one half or a little less of the ceiling space in our family room is lower than the other, to cover up plumbing etc. It is standard height basically and then the rest is like 9 foot. This is all in a day light basement part of the house, with the windows of the room just above ground. It is about a 20' by 14' room.
Well there had been previous leaks from plumbing and also Ron had cut into it for an access panel etc. when doing some other work . And this is the way it was, with pieces of texture missing, panel not painted , dirty horrible popcorn ceiling etc. ICK!!
I just didn't look up, for way to long!
Here it is as he was scraping, you can see the popcorn still in the back corner.
But even this looked better to me.

And as many of you know, who have done it, it is not a clean process.
But he did really well to contain it and scrape it wet into something.
Now with all the popcorn off, time to fill some places with spackle.

We built in this storage to fill the end space and to cover the end that had one of those concrete foundation ledges running cross the floor.
It gave us more storage for books etc. and also serves as a great place to serve snacks on when we entertain and then at Christmas my Christmas village sets here also.
We are going to tile or put something on the top of it next too, make it even better for serving on.


After......almost done, this is after the spackle stage he even did really well around the access panel too.

And here we are After this evening, with primer paint on the sheet rock.
So all that is left is the regular paint, which will happen tomorrow and maybe Tues. also.
The color will be same as that on the wall behind the shelves and picture on the wall.
So far I have to give great kuddos to the hubby though, it is looking great and I am thrilled to have the popcorn gone!!!
Now the next couple weekends we will do the rest of this room.
And later when we are ready to do them, master bedroom and also living and dining rooms will get done as well!
Big process but about time and we will love having it done, will greatly improve the house too I think, a good update!




4 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, it is looking wonderful. It is so much work, but yours are really looking beautiful. Can't wait to see everything all finished. Hugs, Marty

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Linda, Girl Hi-5 that hubby for me...girl thats a ton of work to do that and the mess it leaves oh its every whee...We did this at our last home and girl I swear I just cleaning this stuff up a year later...it's kinda like glitter you thing you got it all and then there more you missed ha ha!!
I hated those ceiling also...you could't paint them and even if you wanted to put up a hook it shown when you took it down...Oh just a mess I know it was the easy way for home builder to hide the ceilings and not do proper sheets rock taping and muddy but did they not notice every woman in the world had it taken off?? Linda every add on I have done on this place I had the sheet rock guy do flat walls and celings...I love wall paper I know I'm one of those nuts still..so I wanted the flat so I could hang paper on it ha ha!! Hope you have a great day my friend and thanks for coming by and seeing my little project...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Kammy said...

Mmmmm so many memories of this when we did our remodel....two rooms left - I know how you feel - looks so great !
Kammy

Unknown said...

that is alot of work. I could not do it. Keeping my arms up all the time. What a great hubby... lucky.. mishelle