WELCOME TO MY CASTLE....A PLACE WHERE I DREAM, CREATE, CHAT, ENJOY, SHARE, AND HOPEFULLY SPREAD SOME REGAL JOY!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Show and Tell Friday.......Mirror Mirror on the wall!

It is time for that ever fun Show and Tell Friday.
for hosting us.
See her wonderful blog and check out all the bloggers who are showing and telling.


Since I got my newest Traditional Home magazine lately, and it had a great article in it
about antique frames, I thought I would show a favorite frame of mine.
I have many on our living room wall, most with mirrors in them in here, helps make the room
seem larger.
But I have collected many others too that I use for old family photos etc.
Probably my favorite is this one that I found about 5 years ago when out of town on a
trip with my hubby. He was coaching a team in a state tournament in Port Angeles and one day while he
was doing that I got to go antiquing.

I found this piece and the dealer in this antique mall didn't know what they had .
So I snatched it up for a big $25.00.
It has an oval beveled mirror in the center.
Seems to be gold leafed.
Made of composition work aka plaster work done on wood.
I am guessing from about 1860-1880ish.
The details are amazing on this piece.
All the edge around the mirror is raised out from the surface with all these border patterns ,
fruit and other details.


This might show the details a bit better. And how the center oval of plaster work is raised up or out from the back ground.Then all 4 corners are decorated with these great thistle and leaves.

I particularly like this as I am Scottish on my mother's side.

It really makes a grand statement.
My mind wonders which Victorian home it came from, the stories it
might tell of all those who gazed into it's mirrored center?!

It is a piece I will always have and despite other's maybe thinking they would want to
repaint this one or refinish it, it is one to leave just as it is in all it's old golden glory!



4 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what a fabulous grouping of mirrors. They are all just gorgeous and I love them all together. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Nancy's Notes said...

Lovely mirrors, I do love all of the ones on your living room wall. It would be nice hear some stories, wouldn't it?

Nancy

{oc cottage} said...

Loving this!!!

m ^..^

Red Door Home said...

You have such a wonderful collection of mirrors. Love houw you have them grouped together.