WELCOME TO MY CASTLE....A PLACE WHERE I DREAM, CREATE, CHAT, ENJOY, SHARE, AND HOPEFULLY SPREAD SOME REGAL JOY!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Show & Tell Friday.....do you know Sew and Sew!lol

Time for Show & Tell Friday, thank you to Cindy at,http://romantichome.blogspot.com/ ,
for hosting us.
Be sure and check out her fabulous blog and the other posters who are showing
and telling this week!


This week I thought I would show and tell my Great Grandma's sewing box.
I remember when she passed away and later the family had to go deal with her things.
My parents gave me this sewing box of hers to keep as they had given it to her before.
She was actually my step Great Grandmother, one set of my grandparents were divorced and both remarried, so I always had extra grandparents when growing up.
I have many family things besides just things I have found and collected stuffed in this sewing box.
The wooden rug or large crochet hook is one that my Great Grandpa Cannon whittled out of wood. He made them for all his grandchildren and they have been passed down.
Some of the old thimbles are family pieces too.
And my love for old paper things and buttons combines when I find old buttons on
their original cards with great color graphics.

This silver engraved thimble is a family piece. Belonged to the wife of
a Great Uncle, Ida Foster-McLellan . But before she was married as it has
the initials I.F. engraved in it.
Here is another card of buttons, look at the cute baby graphics.
Card reads at the bottom Lady Washington Baby Pearls.
And this old metal embroidery hoop, first time I had seen one that was not
wood.
Lots of goodies stuffed inside. It is displayed right now in our laundry/1/2 bath but when I get my craft room and larger laundry room built in it will have a place of honor in there.


10 comments:

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Your grandmother's sewing basket is so pretty. How wonderful that you have it and the thimble. I really like the cute button cards and other paper items-the graphics are so neat. laurie

One Cheap B*tch said...

What a great item to have! I love those buttons on the baby card. Sooo cute! I love that vintage look and wish company's would go back to those kinds of graphics!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What treasures to have. Things like that mean so much when they had belong to family. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I just love alll the wonderful treasure in this beautiful sewing basket. Aren't buttons on old cards just the greatest, and that huge hand carved hook is fabulous. Such wonderful treasures and memories. Hugs, marty

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

How special Linda to have this from your grandma...aren't family things the best....Hope you have a great weekend my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Denise Marie said...

very nice. the pink buttons are special.

Unknown said...

Linda i have my grandmothers sewing box too. Great stuff , old buttons, trim , threads, et. I feel in touch with her when i use some of the stuff. In fact i use it everytime i sew something... Miss her.. mishelle

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

This is a sweet post. I love the thimble. I don't have my grandma's sewing box, but I remember it....

Melissa Miller said...

Everything is really pretty Linda!

Thank you for entering my Spring giveaway sweet friend!

~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. great basket with all sorts of cool items.. precious!