WELCOME TO MY CASTLE....A PLACE WHERE I DREAM, CREATE, CHAT, ENJOY, SHARE, AND HOPEFULLY SPREAD SOME REGAL JOY!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Show & Tell Friday.......it's all in the hands!

Time for the ever fun Show & Tell Friday, thanks to Kelli.
Check out her blog,http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/ , for others posts who are showing and telling this week .
Don't be shy either, join in next time!

This week for Show & Tell I thought I would show you some favorite pieces in my milk
glass collection.
Hand pieces, I am starting to get quite a few of them.
Here they are altogether in my china hutch.
( Click on photos to enlarge and see clearer)


Tiny Hand Vases or holders.
The one on the left with painted details has a holder behind the fan, either used for toothpicks or calling cards. The one on the right, tiny and probably like a little bud vase or toothpick.



Hand Vases.
I actually saw one of these with all the details painted recently and got so excited.
Would have bought it but had bad big chips out of all sides of the base.
If I ever find one painted in excellent condition I will grab it up!
Both here are original but one is Victorian era old and one is newer with a mold probably purchased
by Westmoreland later.
Can you tell which is older and which is newer?

Hand Tray dishes.
The top Hand with Fan dish is a rare item and a favorite of mine.
It was a birthday gift from a friend who had always seen me look at it in this one shop
when we antiqued together. I love it!
Notice the mold work on the end of the fan blades, made to look like feathers.
The other two little hand trays, one is old and one is new reproduction ( but I bought it for only 50 cents).
Can you guess which one is original and which is reproduction or newer?


A favorite piece, Atterbury Dove in Hand Covered Dish.
This is a hard piece to find and covered dishes of any kind that are original and not
reproductions are very sought after and collectible.
A view of the piece on it's base.


Westmoreland Glass Co. double hand tray with grape leaves.
This is a piece you can still find often in antique shops.
The back will be marked with a W over G molded mark for Westmoreland Glass.

14 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Well look at this gorgeous post! What a treat to see Linda. They are all just so elegant and pretty. I don't think I could pick a favorite but I do love the grapes addition to the last one.

Thank you so much for your sweet words tonight. You just made my night when you said I helped inspire your blue bedroom.

Let us see yours when it's finished okay.
~Melissa :)

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. what a collection! i love milk glass and your collection just lovely! have a great weekend

ItaJeff said...

They are all just great and lovely. Such a wonderful collections.

Have a nice weekend

♥Ita

Hootin Anni said...

♥LOVE♥ the hand vases!!

My Show n Tell is all about blue glass. Come join me if you can find time, I'd love your company! And, have a super Friday.

Gee said...

Love your unique collection. Thanks for sharing.

Tina Leigh said...

What a beautiful collection! I've never seen so many! Thanks for sharing.

Kelli said...

What a beautiful collection, Linda! The hands are so sweet and delicate. Have a wonderful weekend!
~Kelli

Love Bears All Things said...

Very unusual collection. I like the boxes best. I would say the shinier ones are the newer but I don't really know.
Mama Bear

The Old Parsonage said...

They are terrific! Just this morning, I asked my friend to keep her eyes peeled for these treasures while she's junkin'.

Please stop by The Old Parsonage anytime.

Enjoy
Leann

Kayren said...

I didn't know that milk glass had a specific area for hand pieces, but I also don't have any milk glass. I think my mom and my grandma have some, and it's very pretty, but I've moved too much and movers aren't kind to breakables. Maybe now that we're settled I could think about it... :)

i cant decide said...

Those are interesting. What a nice collection you have!

Jean said...

Lovely collection. I can see why you like the hand pieces. Jean

JamaGenie said...

The hand vases - I think the one on the left is "real". Only because the opening of the vase is wider, to accommodate the larger arrangements of yesteryear. ???

Dawn said...

What an unusual collection. Very interesting.